Monday, August 2, 2010

Guar bean report

I took the opportunity on Saturday to bust into my Food Show stash and can report that the guar beans weren't amazing. They tasted okay - beany - but were quite stringy.


As my father put it: "you could get the same effect by leaving any kind of bean too long on the vine".

Oddly enough young Rory, who is a pretty fussy eater, liked them and asked for seconds. This is the same boy who turns his nose up at just about everything I cook.

The disappointing beans were off-set by one of the meal's highlights; manuka smoked eggs.

http://www.ch9.co.nz/node/14052

Raw hen's eggs are cold-smoked for many hours, imparting a delicate smoky flavour. The shells look scary - quite blackened at one end - but don't let that put you off trying them. I served them fried. Rory wouldn't even sniff one, let alone taste it.

The rest of us hoovered them up and fought over the leftovers.

We also ate some delicious beef chorizo sausages that I bought at the foodshow.

Just in case you think that I only ever eat weird things, here's what I made for lunch on Saturday (using more Food Show ingredients, including artichoke hearts and washed down with a passionfruit soda made with the syrup I bought at the show):


The white cubes are fried haloumi cheese (bought at the Rotorua market at Easter and recently rediscovered lurking in the depths of my fridge), plus the salad includes baby cos lettuce, cucumber, tomato and Kalamata olives. All very normal fare. At least in our household.





I held off the urge to eat one of the chocolate brownies until the following day when I became mired in a combination of household chores and trying to complete the never-ending rumpus room Roman blind project (something which has dragged on since last year). I HATE sewing Roman blinds and, as the day progressed, found myself getting increasingly grrrrrrrumpy.

I'm not hugely into chocolate, but sometimes there's nothing like having a good old chocolatey pig-out to make life seem sweet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment