Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fear factor food

After she'd offloaded the chokos yesterday, Lily proffered another gift: home-made fermented tofu.

She prefaced the offering with a comment that many Chinese people find it a bit much (!) but she brought me some because she knows I like to try new things. Gingerly, I lifted the lid off and took a sniff: several scatological descriptors came to mind.

Fermented tofu is made by dicing plain tofu and leaving it to fester at room temperature for several weeks. Once it has grown legs, then refrigerate it and leave it to mature. Apparently it gets better with keeping.

I have eaten commercial fermented bean curd on many occasions, but it's preserved in a chillied brine and has quite a different appearance and aroma to Lily's version.
Lily's fermented tofu






Commercial fermented tofu in chilli brine






I had a wee taste yesterday and it was strong, but edible. Today I slathered a whole lot on a cracker and can report that its taste (and smell) has rounded out a lot over night. It's studded with chilli, so is hot, but is nowhere near as salty as the commercial variety. To my surprise, it had a lovely creamy texture.
Nice. But I think I'd better go and brush my teeth now.

2 comments:

  1. You've probably discovered this by now, but fermented bean curd is best stir-fried with some 'hollow-stem vegetable' or 'tung choi'. Yum! You can also spread it on some Chinese eggplant with sesame oil, and just steam until tender, serve with rice - also delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, you're making my mouth water! I've had it with green veges, but not with eggplant. Must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete