Monday, July 12, 2010

Not now, not ever

Although it would be easy to complete this challenge by only shopping at my local Chinese supermarket, I think a more diverse culinary approach better reflects the challenge's spirit. So it was off to Sandringham for some Indian inspiration.

I've been hanging on to a "Methi Malai Mater" recipe that one of the shops had on offer, mainly because I'd never tried it's star ingredient, fenugreek leaves. Here's one:












Snigger, snigger.
Keeping it seemly, here are some of its cuzzies:
















It looks (and smells) very much like something that would grow in my lawn. That is, if it could fight its way above the kikuyu grass.

While browsing for further nouveau cuisine inspiration, I spotted a packet of brain masala. Curious as to whether it was a masala powder for a brain curry or (horror of horrors) a packet curried brain feast, I took a closer look. All of the ingredients were mercifully vegetal, but the packet helpfully pointed out that it provided sufficient masala for five goat brains.

I did, dear reader, briefly contemplate trying this dish in the interest of a new culinary experience. And contemplation was indeed brief. I. Will. Not. Ever. Never. Eat. A. Brain. Not even a teensy weensy goat one.

I also bought a packet of Chakkalu (round), a "spicy fried snack made from rice flour with ginger extract". Kieran and I thought that "bland" was a more apt description.














Rating: 5

I cooked the Methi Malai Mater when I got home. The recipe describes it as a "rich and flavourful Indian vegetable dish. The Methi or Fenugreek leaves give a wonderful aroma and unique taste..."

I thought the Methi or Fenugreek leaves added little taste, but plenty of stalky texture. They did, however, impart a spicy fenugreek aroma. The dish was nice enough, in a chewy way, but I'd substitute the fenugreek with spinach or finely sliced cabbage leaves if I was to make it again.



















Rating: 6

The day's final new experience - something that's been lurking on my kitchen servery for months - was a packet of Falooda dessert mix.



It was easy to make and the milky combination of cubed rosewater jelly, short noodley thingies, nuts, raisins and other mysterious treats were a hit with all of us. Well, all of us, except Rory. It was all too pink and weird for him.




Rating: 9



















No comments:

Post a Comment